Oscar Grant’s Mother Gets $1.3M

BART has settled the $50 million case that was filed on behalf of the family of Oscar Grant—the young man killed January 1, 2009 by a former BART Police officer on the Fruitvale station platform. On Tuesday afternoon, following five settlement conferences over 2.5 years, BARTreached an agreement with Oscar Grant’s mother, Wanda Johnson, for $1.3million. This is the second and final settlement in the $50 million case against the individually named officers, including Johannes Mehserle, for the death ofOscar Grant. The first was with Oscar Grant’s daughter, Tatiana, for $1.5million in January 2010. Last month a federal judge dismissed all thecharges Wanda Johnson raised against BART as an agency. “The  tragic  death  of Oscar Grant will remain a painful memory for all of us,”  BART  Board  President  Bob Franklin said. “While we cannot alter the past,  we  have  been using the lessons learned as a catalyst to change our future.  We  on  the  BART  Board have been continuously taking the actions needed  to  improve  the  BART Police Department to ensure our officers are better-trained and better-equipped and we’re working with the community and our  customers  to earn their trust and confidence by keeping them safe and secure.” “No matter what anyone’s opinion of the case may be, the sad fact remains that this incident has left Wanda Johnson without a son,” BART Board Member Lynette Sweet said. Sweet chairs the BART Police Department Review Committee, which is guiding the implementation of the changes within the police department. “We’re working hard to make the Police Department the best it can be for our officers, our customers and our community. This settlement is critical in our efforts to move forward.”
Share Button
Print Friendly

Comments are closed.