Council Shutdown

Community, Blueford family demand police report on killing

Alan Blueford

Adam Blueford asks City Council why OPD has not released a police report since the May 6 killing of his son Alan. 

By Post Staff The Oakland City Council this week was forced to end its meeting early, facing angry protesters who were demanding answers in the police killing of 18-year-old Skyline High School student Alan Blueford. Nearly 200 protesters packed the council chambers Tuesday night calling for justice for Blueford. Members of the young man’s family who spoke at the meeting disputed the police account and asked City Council President Larry Reid to help them obtain the police report. “We still don’t have a police report, Mr. Reid, I thought you were going to help us,” said Jeralynn Blueford, Alan’s mother. “You don’t know what it’s like to bury your baby.” The young man was shot shortly after midnight on May 6 in the 9200 block of Birch Street in Oakland after police said he ran from police. He had been waiting for a ride home after watching a boxing match with friends. Police initially reported that Blueford had been killed in an exchange of gunfire that injured the officer. However, the following day police said that while a gun believed to be Blueford’s had been recovered, it had not been fired, and the officer’s injury to his foot was self-inflicted. Police said Blueford was transported to a hospital, where he died. However, according to the family, their understanding is that their son lay on the street, where he died.  He was not taken to the Highland Hospital. “The story has changed so many times, and we can’t stand for it,” said Jeralynn Blueford. In an interview with the Post, Adam Blueford, the young man’s father, said he wanted to correct the portrayal of his son as a criminal. He said his son was a Christian who attended church. “My son was a good kid,” said the father. “He was set to graduate at Skyline. He was in his senior year, and he went to his prom the week before he was murdered. “My son was not a person who would have a gun or pull a gun on a police officer.” According to Adam Blueford, no evidence has been presented that ties his son to the gun the police said was found near the site of the shooting. “The police chief said a gun was found at the scene, (but it seems) there were no finger printers on the gun. My son did not have that gun. They are keeping all the information about that so-called gun from us and from the public.” The police officer “stood over my son and shot him,” Adam Blueford said. “He was never taken to the hospital.  We don’t know where his body was taken.” Police Chief Howard Jordan, who is named in a lawsuit filed by the family, says he had originally planned to give the police report to the family at the City Council meeting. “I initially said that I would release the report, that was my intention, but after talking with investigators I decided that we could not release the report, and that was a miscommunication on my part,” Jordan said following the meeting. “We’re working with their attorneys to get them the documents they need when it’s appropriate,” he said. Many questions are being raised about the past record of Officer Miguel Masso, who fired the shots that killed Blueford. According to a 2007 civil rights lawsuit in New York City, Masso and three other NYPD officers were accused of beating, macing, and tasering a man in a holding cell at the 52nd Precinct station house in the Central Bronx. Medical records confirm the prisoner sustained a black eye and six serious burns on his back from the electronic shocks. The man was then placed back in his cell and denied medical attention despite repeatedly requesting medical assistance. Masso resigned his NYPD position, came to California and eventually took a position as an Oakland police officer in 2008. Meanwhile, NYPD’s Internal Affairs cleared him of allegations of injuring a prisoner in police custody and violating departmental policy. After being forced to adjourn this week’s council meeting, some council members said Wednesday they will no longer allow boisterous protesters to upset their agenda. “It’s absolutely unacceptable behavior,” Councilmember Ignacio De La Fuente said. “To allow this group of people to prevent the meeting to continue … is just something that we cannot allow to happen.”
Share Button
Print Friendly

Filed under: Articles

Comments are closed.