California Endowment Commits $50 Million to “Sons & Brothers” Across California

By James Carter, California Black Media Contributor

The California Endowment announced it will commit $50 million over the next seven years to help improve the health and educational outcomes for young boys and men of color, responding to grim statistics and reports highlighting disparate outcomes for young African-American men and an attorney general’s report underscoring the link between elementary school truancy and crime.

< p>< p>

Martin Ludlow, a spokesperson for The California Endowment, said the sizable investment is intended to act as a catalyst to convince other organizations to engage in efforts to reverse the educational, social and health trends for this most at-risk group.

“We believe now is the time to take action by investing in our sons and brothers of color because that is the demographic group that performs lowest across socioeconomic categories,” Ludlow said. “The investment is extraordinary, but alone it is not enough to get the job done. It is more of a call to action to other organizations we are hoping heed that call.”

Under the name “Sons & Brothers Across California,” The Endowment campaign has enlisted the assistance of political and religious leaders, students, parents and school faculty to achieve the campaign’s broad goals which include improving literacy rates, reducing chronic truancy and lowering the dropout rate, all of which are key indicators of future success among African-American males.

“We believe that African American males are assets in California’s future, but we need to reverse the negative trajectory and set them on a proper course to be productive citizens,” Ludlow said. “Third-grade reading, high-school graduation, and post secondary certification are three critical markers that research shows are essential for health and success in life.”

Ludlow says the Sons & Brothers campaign is intended to change the “entire ecosystem” for young African-American males that includes exposure to violence, lower educational attainment and higher dropout rates, by focusing on key milestones, supporting youth and parent leadership development efforts, community-school partnerships and policy changes at the local, state and national level.

Share Button

One Comment

1. This is bad news. I recently read a book by a London preacher named Matthew Ashimolowo. The book title: “What is wrong with being Black?” 2007. I too hated the title but I don’t judge a book by its cover (title).

I do not agree with everything in this book. A few of the solutions are out dated in my opinion. But it should be mandatory reading for every Black teen, male or female.

The book puts the blame of the struggle on Blacks from the beginning of time and leads the reader up to a 21st century solution that will work, though not perfect for all.

Martin Ludlow, should not only read but share this book with The California Endowment.

Post a comment

Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*

Current ye@r *