The Richmond Museum Association recently hosted a crab feed to fund the restoration of the SS Red Oak Victory Ship.
In the mid-1990s, the SS Red Oak Victory was identified as one of the best-preserved ships from the Kaiser Richmond shipyard in the reserve fleet, with the potential to become a floating museum.
The Richmond Museum Association had enlisted the help of Congressman George Miller, who wrote the conveyance language and added it to the Coast Guard Authorization Act of 1996.
The ship was originally launched on Nov. 9, 1944 at the Kaiser Permanente shipyard, the 558th ship built in Richmond during World War II.
The SS Red Oak Victory carried ammunition throughout the Pacific Theatre during the last year of the war.