Long-time Richmond resident and organizing member of the Girls Club of America Mother Stevanna Herron died on July 8. She was 104.
In 1942, Stevanna Herron migrated to Richmond. Her first effort was to find a church home. In 1943, she helped organize the Zion Hill Missionary Baptist Church under the leadership of the late Rev. G. W. Dowthard.
A native of Texas, born on Dec. 27, 1912, she accepted Christ as her personal Savior at the age of 10. She often attended local and district church meetings when her mother was unable to attend.
Mother Herron was married to the late Brother Samuel Herron for over 50 years. She had five children, 10 grandchildren, 18 great-grandchildren, and five great-great -grandchildren.
During her many years at Zion Hill, she served as church clerk, announcing clerk, director of the young people’s department, second vice president and president of the Women’s Mission Society. She also sang in the choirs.
Mother Herron was one of the organizing members of the Girls Club of America (now Girls, Inc.), serving as a member of the board of directors. She donated the first $1,000 to secure a building for the Girls Club.
She was instrumental in starting the Southside Community Center, the Well Baby Clinic, Mainstream, Job Placement Center, the Neighborhood Youth Center (NYC), and senior citizens programs. She worked many years on voters’ registration and the Brown Bag program, which supplemented food for seniors.
Young people held a special place in her heart. She was instrumental in assisting and advising young adults in obtaining employment.
She was among the last charter members of the Home & Foreign Mission District Association (HFMDA) where she served as dean of the District Congress. For many years she traveled with Rev. Dowthard and Rev. Heard to the National Baptist Convention meetings across the country.