The American Red Cross of the Bay Area will be honoring five community members and a special organization from Alameda County for their acts of courage or compassion at the upcoming Alameda County Heroes Award Breakfast. The event will be held on Friday, September 15, 2017, in the City of Alameda.
After careful consideration, a committee of local community leaders selected the 2017 Alameda County Hero Award recipients based on the degree to which their acts of heroism or compassion uphold the values of the American Red Cross and leave a lasting and positive impact on the residents of the Alameda County. The following is a list of the heroes who will be honored at this year’s breakfast.
- Blood Services Hero: Glenna Wurm-Hayenga, San Lorenzo
- Disaster Services Hero: Rev. Debra Avery, Oakland
- Good Samaritan Hero: Benjamin Sebastian – San Lorenzo
- First Responder Hero: Father Jayson Landeza, Oakland
- International Services Hero: Marilyn Simpson Wright, Moraga
- Special Community Hero Award: The Oakland Athletics Community Fund
Heather Holmes of KTVU-Channel 2 will be the Master of Ceremonies. The Keynote Speaker will be Napoleon Kaufman, Sr. Pastor of Well Christian Church. The event will take place at Grandview Pavilion, located at 300 Island Drive, Alameda. Tickets to the breakfast will be available for purchase mid-August at redcross.org/ALCOheroes2017.