By Mayor Tom Butt
Applications to replace Gayle McLaughlin closed today with 13 applicants who will make a pitch at the September 12 City Council meeting. The candidate statements to fill the Council vacancy are on the web at http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/
- Soheila Bana, engineer with a Ph.D., represents Richmond on the Contra Costa Mosquito and Vector Control District.
- Maija Barretto, health care coach and U.S Army combat veteran.
- Diego Garcia, Parks and Recreation Commissioner and founder of Richmond SOL Soccer League.
- Timothy Golden, non-profit leader.
- Allen Dale Green, Planner and former Richmond Main Street Initiative Board member.
- David Allen Tucker, former staff member for Congressman George Miller, former Kaiser employee and government relations consultant.
- Carole Johnson, former member Human Rights and Human Relations Commission, criminal justice advocate, Ceasefire, ACCE, RPA activist.
- Demnlus Johnson, Economic Development Commission member, WCCSD Richmond High School community worker.
- Marilyn Langlois, former Human Rights and Human Relations Commission member, current Planning Commission member.
- Michael W. Malin, owner of Burnt Ramen, who blames Tom Butt for making him homeless.
- Ada Recinos, Member Human Rights and Human Relations Commission, RPA
- David Schoenthal, former Point Richmond Business Association president, Washington School supporter, Board Member Richmond Chamber of Commerce.
- Peter A. Thelin, Retired Optician
The applicants are remarkably diverse and all with interesting backgrounds, Several of them have experience on Richmond boards and commissions. Only one, Marilyn Langlois has previously run for Richmond City Council.
I applaud all of them for their motivation and interest in serving on the Richmond City Council.