The Women’s March Oakland 2019 will flood the streets with a
wave of women and their allies from the East Bay and beyond, joining more than
130 chapters across the country in hosting rallies on the anniversary of the
historic Women’s March.
The march will be begin at 10 a.m. with a rally at the Lake
Merritt Amphitheater, followed by a march down 14th Street to Frank Ogawa
(Oscar Grant) Plaza. Lake Merritt is the BART station closest to the march’s
At this nonpartisan, peaceful event on the Saturday before
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, the march organizers proclaim their commitment, in
Scott King’s words, to “create new homes, new communities, new cities, a new
nation. Yea, a new world, which we desperately need!”
The 2019 march is co-hosted by Women’s March Oakland, Black
Women Organized for Political Action, and the Martin Luther King Jr. Freedom
Speakers at the event will include Alicia Garza, Arushi Avachat,
Rep. Barbara Lee, Hai Yan Wu, Kimberly Ellis, Nikki Fortunato Bas and Stacey
The following are guidelines for participants:
• We will not use violence (physical or verbal) towards any
• We will not destroy or damage property.
• We will promote a tone of respect, honesty, transparency
and accountability in our actions.
• We will not carry anything that can be construed as a weapon,
nor possess (or consume) any alcohol or drugs.
• We are nonpartisan and will use Women’s March Oakland
primarily to express our support for women’s rights and human rights in our
communities and the country.
• We will all hold each other accountable to respecting
For more information, go to Women’s March Oakland