Connect with us

Crime

Sexual Exploitation Case Dropped Against City of Richmond

Published

on

The woman at the center of the explosive police sex scandal in 2016 has dropped her lawsuit against the City of Richmond, as of Jan. 17.

Jasmine Abuslin, who went by the name Celeste Guap, dropped an almost-identical lawsuit against Contra Costa County and its sheriff last year.

John Burris, Abuslin’s current attorney, said that the case was dropped because Abuslin was tired of testifying.

Abuslin received a $989,000 settlement from the City of Oakland in May, though her claim was for $66 million. Councilmember Desley Brooks was the only person to vote no on the lesser settlement figure, because she believed it to be too low.

“I believe this settlement is yet another example of Ms. Guap being abused by the system. A young girl was victimized, and morally we don’t see that it is wrong, that we can vote for this settlement,” Brooks said.
The original complaint against the City of Richmond kept Abuslin anonymous; the plaintiff was called JANE DOE.

Her true name was revealed in August, following her arrest in Florida. She had fled from a rehab facility that the City of Richmond sent her to in Miami to treat her heroin and sex addiction.

Many at the time were concerned that Richmond police sent her out of state and placed her in a facility at a time when she was a key witness in investigations involving numerous police departments, including Richmond.

Although she checked in voluntarily, she was not allowed to call her family or leave.
Just a few days after her arrival, Abuslin fled and began “flashing” cars on the street until armed security guards brought her back inside. She then bit a staff member as he attempted to inject her with a sedative and was arrested and charged with felony aggravated battery.

Her attorney at the time, Charles Bonner, got it reduced to a misdemeanor, and helped return Abuslin to the Bay Area.

Her lawsuit against the City of Richmond cited seven violations, naming five police officers and accusing them of using their power to coerce Abuslin, a sex-trafficked minor, “with the intention of retaining her services for themselves,” the complaint states.
Her claim against the City of Richmond was for $30 million, but that case was dropped this month.

The complaint also stated: “Each of the five officers knew that [Abuslin]was a sex worker and had been trafficked as a sex worker while a child. A reasonably prudent and properly trained police officer having met [Abuslin] would have provided support or resources to [Abuslin]. The fact that each of the five DEFENDANT OFFICERS decided to exploit the young and vulnerable [Abuslin] is evidence of a widespread and persistent custom of exploiting sex workers by providing protection in exchange for sexual favors.”

Several cases against officers have been dismissed, though many were suspended or fired.

Activism

Oakland Post: Week of March 28 – April 1, 2025

The printed Weekly Edition of the Oakland Post: Week of March 28 – April 1, 2025

Published

on

To enlarge your view of this issue, use the slider, magnifying glass icon or full page icon in the lower right corner of the browser window.

Continue Reading

Activism

Group Takes First Steps to Recall District Attorney Diana Becton

The group, called “Recall Diana Becton,” says they have lost faith in her prosecution decisions and her lack of transparency. On their social media post, they say: “We the victims of crime, their families, local business owners and employees, as well as residents of Contra Costa County, have reached our limit and are initiating the recall of District Attorney Diana Becton,” the notice states. “We are increasingly concerned about the persistent cycle of unaddressed criminal activity. We are frustrated by her continuous empty promises to victims and their families that justice will prevail while she permits criminals to roam free.” Becton, 73, is a former judge who was appointed district attorney in 2017 by the Board of Supervisors and then won election in 2018 and again in 2022.

Published

on

Diana Becton has served at the Contra Costa County District Attorney since 2017. Richmond Standard photo.
Diana Becton has served at the Contra Costa County District Attorney since 2017. Richmond Standard photo.

By Post Staff

After gathering more than 100 verified signatures, a group led by crime victims delivered a ‘notice of intent’ to the offices of Contra Costa County District Attorney Diana Becton seeking her recall.

The group, called “Recall Diana Becton,” says they have lost faith in her prosecution decisions and her lack of transparency.

On their social media post, they say:

“We the victims of crime, their families, local business owners and employees, as well as residents of Contra Costa County, have reached our limit and are initiating the recall of District Attorney Diana Becton,” the notice states.

“We are increasingly concerned about the persistent cycle of unaddressed criminal activity. We are frustrated by her continuous empty promises to victims and their families that justice will prevail while she permits criminals to roam free.”

Becton, 73, is a former judge who was appointed district attorney in 2017 by the Board of Supervisors and then won election in 2018 and again in 2022.

Becton has seven days to respond. According to the East Bay Times, her office spokesperson said her “answer will be her public comment.”

After Becton responds, according to the Contra Costa County Elections Office, Recall Diana Becton must then finalize the petition language and gather signatures of a minimum of 10% of registered voters (72,000) in 160 days before it can go on the ballot for election.

She is the third Bay Area district attorney whose constituents wanted them removed from office. San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin was removed from office in 2021 and last year, Pamela Price lost her position in a recall election.

Of the top 10 proponents of Becton’s recall, three are the families of Alexis Gabe, Thomas Arellano, and Damond Lazenby Jr.

In each of those cases, the families say Becton failed to pursue prosecution, allowed a plea deal instead of a trial in a slaying and questioned the coroner’s report in a fatal car crash.

Some political science experts suggest that, in the Bay Area there may be a bit of copycat syndrome going on.

In many states, recalls are not permitted at all, but in California, not only are they permitted but the ability to put one into motion is easy.

“Only 10% of registered voters in a district are needed just to start the process of getting the effort onto the ballot,” Garrick Percival, a political science professor told the East Bay Times. “It makes it easy to make the attempt.”

But according to their website, the Recall Diana Becton group express their loss of faith in the prosecutor.

“Her lack of transparency regarding crime in this county, and her attempts to keep her offenders out of jail have left us disheartened,” the recall group wrote.

Petitioners say they are acting not just for themselves but other crime victims “who feel ignored, exasperated and hopeless in their pursuit of justice for themselves or their loved ones.”

KRON TV, The East Bay Times, and Wikipedia are the sources for this report.

Continue Reading

Activism

Oakland Post: Week of March 19 – 25, 2025

The printed Weekly Edition of the Oakland Post: Week of March 19 – 25, 2025

Published

on

To enlarge your view of this issue, use the slider, magnifying glass icon or full page icon in the lower right corner of the browser window.

Continue Reading

Subscribe to receive news and updates from the Oakland Post

* indicates required

CHECK OUT THE LATEST ISSUE OF THE OAKLAND POST

ADVERTISEMENT

WORK FROM HOME

Home-based business with potential monthly income of $10K+ per month. A proven training system and website provided to maximize business effectiveness. Perfect job to earn side and primary income. Contact Lynne for more details: Lynne4npusa@gmail.com 800-334-0540

Facebook

Congresswoman Barbara Lee. Courtesy photo, Office of Rep. Barbara Lee.
Activism1 day ago

Oakland Post Endorses Barbara Lee

Activism6 days ago

Oakland Post: Week of March 28 – April 1, 2025

Volunteer at Alameda County Food Bank sorting food to distribute to the hundreds of community organizations across the county. Cities like Oakland are experiencing large numbers of food insecure households that use food banks to supplement their weekly meals instead of buying expensive groceries from their local markets. Photo by Magaly Muñoz.
Activism1 week ago

Oakland’s Most Vulnerable Neighborhoods Are Struggling to Eat and Stay Healthy

Sen. Lola Smallwood-Cuevas (D-Los Angeles), center, is shown with other guest speakers at the Sacramento Chapter of the National Association of Women in Construction brunch held at the State Capitol on March 6, 2025. On the left is Jennifer Todd, LMS General Contractors Founder and President. To Todd’s right is Dr. Giovanna Brasfield, from Los Angeles-based Brasfield and Associates. CBM photo by Antonio Ray Harvey.
Activism1 week ago

Sen. Lola Smallwood-Cuevas Honors California Women in Construction with State Proclamation, Policy Ideas

Shutterstock
Activism1 week ago

Report Offers Policies, Ideas to Improve the Workplace Experiences of Black Women in California

UC Berkeley photo.
Bay Area1 week ago

Five Years After COVID-19 Began, a Struggling Child Care Workforce Faces New Threats

iStock.
Alameda County1 week ago

Trump Order Slashes Federal Agencies Supporting Minority Business and Neighborhood Development

Robert Harris (left) is a retired attorney at PG&E and former legal counsel for NAACP. Richard Fuentes is co-owner of FLUID510 and chair of the Political Action Committee, American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) Council 57. Courtesy photos.
Activism1 week ago

We Fought on Opposite Sides of the Sheng Thao Recall. Here’s Why We’re Uniting Behind Barbara Lee for Oakland Mayor

From left: Rev. Dr. Jacqueline Thompson. Bishop Kevin Barnes. Pastor Mike McBride. Bishop Keith Clark. Pastor Michael Wallace. Courtesy photos.
Activism1 week ago

Faith Leaders Back Barbara Lee for Mayor, Criticize Candidate Loren Taylor for Dishonest Campaigning

Diana Becton has served at the Contra Costa County District Attorney since 2017. Richmond Standard photo.
Activism1 week ago

Group Takes First Steps to Recall District Attorney Diana Becton

Barbara Lee. and Loren Taylor. File photos.
Alameda County1 week ago

Candidates Barbara Lee and Loren Taylor Raise Nearly $550,000 Combined for April 15 Mayor’s Race

Front row: Megan Imperial, Genice Jacobs, Bobbi Lopez, Courtney Welch, Janani Ramachandran, Hercules Councilmember Dilli Bhattarai, Sarah Bell, Laura Babitt, Ashlee Jemmott, and Shawn Danino. Rear row: Ben Gould, Sam Davis, Victor Flores, Zac Bowling, Nate Hanson, Teddy Gray King, Cathy Adams, Neil Tsutsui, Sam Gould, Lauren Wilson, and Nick Pilch. Courtesy photo.
Activism1 week ago

District Delegates to State Democratic Party Central Committee Meeting Celebrate Election Victory

Front Row: UC Berkeley Steel Bridge Team Back Row: Girls, Inc. Participants. Photo courtesy of the Golden State Warriors.
Activism2 weeks ago

Golden State Warriors Program Is Inspiring Next Generation of Female Engineers

Activism2 weeks ago

Oakland Post: Week of March 19 – 25, 2025

#NNPA BlackPress2 weeks ago

Recently Approved Budget Plan Favors Wealthy, Slashes Aid to Low-Income Americans

Trending

Copyright ©2021 Post News Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved.