Entertainment
Univision Drops Miss USA, Miss Universe Over Trump Comments

In this June 16, 2013 file photo, Donald Trump, left, and Miss Connecticut USA Erin Brady pose onstage after Brady won the 2013 Miss USA pageant in Las Vegas, Nev. Univision says it is dropping the Miss USA Pageant and says it will cut all business ties with Donald Trump over comments he made about Mexican immigrants. (AP Photo/Jeff Bottari, File)
FRAZIER MOORE, AP Television Writer
NEW YORK (AP) — Donald Trump’s fledgling GOP presidential bid quickly led to business fallout for him, with Univision saying it will drop the Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants and cut all ties with Trump over comments on Mexican immigrants.
The company said Thursday it was canceling its Spanish-language coverage of the Miss USA pageant July 12. It will also ax its planned coverage of the Miss Universe pageant next January and is severing its business relationship with the Miss Universe Organization, which produces both pageants, because of what it called “insulting remarks about Mexican immigrants” by Trump, a part owner of Miss Universe.
NBC remained silent about its scheduled coverage of the Miss USA pageant, which has aired on the network since 2003. But it sought to distance itself from Trump’s remarks.
“Donald Trump’s opinions do not represent those of NBC, and we do not agree with his positions on a number of issues, including his recent comments on immigration,” NBC said in a statement.
Trump has long been featured on another NBC program, “Celebrity Apprentice,” which is currently on hiatus. The show has been renewed, but the network hasn’t commented on its future since Trump declared his candidacy.
During his presidential campaign kickoff speech last week, Trump portrayed immigrants from Mexico as “bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.” He also called for building a wall along the southern border of the U.S. The remarks drew condemnation from the Mexican government as “biased and absurd.”
In an interview Thursday, Trump said his criticism was directed against U.S. policymakers, not the Mexican people or government, adding that Univision would be defaulting on its contract if it doesn’t air the pageant.
This year’s telecast would have been the first in a five-year deal also including Miss Universe that Trump said “has no termination rights.” He pledged to take legal action against the company.
“At Univision, we see firsthand the work ethic, love for family, strong religious values and the important role Mexican immigrants and Mexican-Americans have had and will continue to have in building the future of our country,” said the New York-based Univision Communications Inc.
Trump accused Univision of having ties to Mexico that led the network to submit to pressure from Mexican leaders to punish him for positions he voices as a candidate on the campaign trail.
“They don’t want me saying that Mexico is killing the United States in trade and killing the United States at the border,” Trump said. “Univision is totally laying down for the Mexican government. … They want to silence Donald Trump. And Donald Trump can’t be silenced. … I have great respect for Mexico and I love the Mexican people, but my loyalty is to the United States.”
Univision declined to comment on Trump’s remarks.
In an interview scheduled to air Sunday on Telemundo’s “Enfoque con José Díaz-Balart,” Trump said that “many bad people are coming in” from Mexico and elsewhere.
“You’re going to have terrorists coming through the southern border. There’s no question about it,” he said.
The host challenged Trump, contending there has been no act of terrorism committed by someone crossing the U.S.-Mexico border.
“You don’t know that,” Trump replied, adding later: “See what happens tomorrow. See what happens in two weeks from now. … I’m not even talking about terrorists from this region. I’m talking about from the Middle East they can come in. The border is totally open.”
In severing her ties with the show, Puerto Rican actress Roselyn Sanchez, one of the two co-hosts, cited Trump’s comments about immigrants.
“Since I heard Trump’s speech, as a Latina I felt a lump in my stomach. ‘It’s got to be a joke,’ I thought,” the star of the Lifetime series “Devious Maids” told The Associated Press.
Also on Thursday, Chilean actor-producer Cristian de la Fuente, the show’s other co-host, had strong words for Trump: “It’s a shame that such an important institution as Miss USA is now in the hands of a clown.”
Singer-songwriter Ricky Martin also took to Twitter to blast Trump.
“A lot of hatred and ignorance in his heart,” he tweeted.
Miss California USA Natasha Martinez was asked about Trump’s comments during an interview Thursday on Los Angeles TV station KCAL and said they were “a little bit tough to hear.”
“But I know that this opportunity for me as Miss California-USA, and now competing for Miss USA, is a great bridge to kind of represent my community and let the world know that I am a proud Latino-American,” she said.
___
Associated Press writers Sigal Ratner-Arias and Claudia Torrens in New York, and John Antczak and Lynn Elber in Los Angeles contributed to this report.
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Activism
Oakland Post: Week of March 28 – April 1, 2025
The printed Weekly Edition of the Oakland Post: Week of March 28 – April 1, 2025

To enlarge your view of this issue, use the slider, magnifying glass icon or full page icon in the lower right corner of the browser window.
Activism
Golden State Warriors Program Is Inspiring Next Generation of Female Engineers
Breaking down barriers and biases that deter young girls from pursuing STEAM subjects is essential for creating a level playing field and ensuring equal opportunities for all. By challenging stereotypes and promoting a culture of inclusivity and diversity in STEAM fields, experts believe young girls can be empowered to pursue their interests and aspirations without limitations confidently. Encouraging mentorship, providing access to resources, and celebrating girls’ achievements in STEAM are all crucial steps in creating a supportive environment that fosters success.

By Y’Anad Burrell
The Golden State Warriors and e-commerce giant Rakuten are joining forces to inspire the next generation of female engineers through Building STEAM Futures, part of The City Calls campaign.
Organizers say the initiative is founded on the idea that science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics (STEAM) are crucial fields for innovation and progress, and empowering young girls to pursue careers in these areas is more important than ever. Studies consistently show that girls are underrepresented in STEAM fields, resulting in a gender disparity that limits potential and hinders diversity.
Breaking down barriers and biases that deter young girls from pursuing STEAM subjects is essential for creating a level playing field and ensuring equal opportunities for all. By challenging stereotypes and promoting a culture of inclusivity and diversity in STEAM fields, experts believe young girls can be empowered to pursue their interests and aspirations without limitations confidently. Encouraging mentorship, providing access to resources, and celebrating girls’ achievements in STEAM are all crucial steps in creating a supportive environment that fosters success.
On Saturday, March 8, International Women’s Day, the Warriors and Rakuten hosted 20 middle school girls from Girls Inc. of Alameda County at Chase Center’s Above the Rim for a hands-on bridge-building experience. The young girls from Girls, Inc. of Alameda County had an opportunity to design, build and test their own bridge prototypes and learn the fundamentals of bridge construction from the Engineering Alliance and the UC Berkeley Steel Bridge Team.
This STEAM experience for the girls followed the first session in January, where they took a behind-the-scenes tour of the Golden Gate Bridge, learning about its design and construction from industry experts. The City Calls campaign, tipped off with the unveiling the Warriors’ new bridge-themed City Edition jerseys and court design earlier this year.
Activism
Oakland Post: Week of March 19 – 25, 2025
The printed Weekly Edition of the Oakland Post: Week of March 19 – 25, 2025

To enlarge your view of this issue, use the slider, magnifying glass icon or full page icon in the lower right corner of the browser window.
-
Activism4 weeks ago
Undocumented Workers Are Struggling to Feed Themselves. Slashed Budgets and New Immigration Policies Bring Fresh Challenges
-
Activism1 week ago
We Fought on Opposite Sides of the Sheng Thao Recall. Here’s Why We’re Uniting Behind Barbara Lee for Oakland Mayor
-
Activism4 weeks ago
Oakland Post: Week of March 5 – 11, 2025
-
#NNPA BlackPress2 weeks ago
Rev. Dr. Jamal Bryant’s Black Church Target Boycott Mobilizes 150,000
-
Activism2 weeks ago
San Francisco Is Investing Millions to Address Food Insecurity. Is Oakland Doing the Same?
-
#NNPA BlackPress4 weeks ago
Trump Moves to Dismantle Education Department
-
#NNPA BlackPress4 weeks ago
Fighting to Keep Blackness
-
#NNPA BlackPress2 weeks ago
Recently Approved Budget Plan Favors Wealthy, Slashes Aid to Low-Income Americans